3.11.2009

GETTING THE MESSAGE?

BY CINCINNATUS

President Obama has signed the $410 billion spending bill laden with earmarks, but held his nose while doing so. According the president, it’s time to get serious on wasteful spending. Pardon me if I remain skeptical. But perhaps, now that they’ve gotten the glut out of their systems, the Democrats are starting to heed the words uttered in our recent article, “Who’s Driving This Thing?” They understand that they can’t keep up this ridiculous and irresponsible pace of spending and nest-feathering. What remains to be seen is if they are going to do the right thing on spending or just look like they’re trying to do the right thing on spending.

According to
this New York Times article, House Democrats will be enacting changes to restrict wasteful spending, including a 20 day review period for the White House to get a peek at legislative earmarks. What I find most intriguing about the promised reform is that it represents a deference on the part of Congressional Democrats to the president. Depending on how this “cooperation” plays out, President Obama may be asserting his unquestioned authority over his party and putting an end to speculation about a Pelosi/Reid power play. If things go badly, however, it could spell disaster. Perhaps the president is finally taking the firm hand that pundits have widely said he must in order to govern effectively. We shall see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No wait! NOW it's time to get serious. I know what I said, but that was before. The NEXT time, I mean it!


RRRRrrrriiight. The first time I ever saw the guy speak, he said (and I paraphrase), "I won't run for president in 2008 because I wouldn't have time to do my job as senator, and I don't feel that's the right thing to do." Now, I assume it's a lie until proved 100% true... I'm still waiting.

powerje said...

In 2004 Obama said he wasn't planning to run for President because he didn't think he had enough experience (at the time). Is this what you're referring to?